Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Third Time's the Charm...

I must say that this time around, the baby experience has been a bit different.
First of all, the pregnancy was tougher - I threw up more.
(I didn't throw up at all with Summer, and only once with Joshua. )

Secondly, the delivery was easier - a pretty speedy affair. She was earlier, too. Summer was delivered on her due date, Joshua a week late, but Sydney a week early, making her our smallest baby.
She was our most yellow baby, too. We had to do the billi lights for five days - not fun.
Aside from all that, though, things are different in other ways.
I find myself more relaxed this time around.
Maybe it's that I have more confidence in myself as a mother, who knows.
******
When we had Summer, I was a basket-case! I was afraid I was doing everything all wrong. I read all the books, which my wise mother told me not to, and they made me crazy (especially Baby Wise). I was terrified of creating bad habits like nursing my baby to sleep (which I later discovered was no big deal). My mom just kept advising me to follow my instincts, the problem was I didn't know I had any.
When we had Joshua, I was a basket-case again! This time I was overwhelmed with caring for 2 children. I was so emotional, too! I would feel guilty that I wasn't giving Summer the attention she needed. I worried that I wouldn't love Joshua as much. Again, I discovered these fears were unnecessary - it IS possible to give each child the individual attention he or she needs. It IS possible to love another child just as much.

And then the third time around... bringing Sydney home has been so much easier. Maybe it was because my mom and sister were here virtually every day for the first 6 weeks, helping me out with meals and cleaning and child care. But, I suspect it's more than that. I've finally gained some confidence and discovered, yes, I do have instincts. Instead of worrying so much, I am just enjoying this baby. I love her so much.





Yes, my babies are a lot of work, but the joy they bring into my life is more than worth it.

7 comments:

kami said...

3rd time is the charm! It is amazing how much more relaxed you are. I don't think I've read any books this time. Mommy instincts are great.

jerseygirl said...

I'm so glad you are enjoying your time. they are all three beautiful, enjoy every minute of being a stay at home mom. good luck with everything!! tell Ryan "hi" from us.

Merilee said...

I LOVE this post!
I couldn't agree more. Minus the third child of course, but my first two experiences sound exactly like yours. It's so true about the books! haha.
Beautiful pictures too.

Jill said...

Great post. I love hearing posts like this instead of people always complaining about their kids. It's refreshing. Thanks. Your kids are beautiful!!!

Katie B Thurgood said...

I concur completely! I really enjoyed the third one so much more. And the fourth.. well, let's just say that if you decide to venture to that many, you will realize just how much you really treasure the baby time and how fast they really do grow up. I must admit that the idea of my fourth being my last makes me sad.. I feel like I just started getting the hang of things when it is time to end. Your babies are beautiful! We are moving to Washington in a few weeks. I am sad to leave Hawaii so soon but excited to live a little closer to family :) Congrats on Sydney.. she is absolutely adorable and yet again makes me miss having a newborn around!

Katie-babe said...

Your kids are great kids also. I'm sure that that helps alot too. Do you think you would be doing as well if you had a Sara as a child. I love Sara, but I don't think that I could handle her all of the time. What news about the house?

Damitz Family said...

That's an awesome post, Shurelle. It's totally true how things change with every kid. I love what you said about how there's enough love and attention for every kid. Some how you just make it work!

I'mn glad things are going well. You've got a gorgeous family!